Re: [MiNT] Loopback device for MiNT, request for comments

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 17:26 +0200, Patrice Mandin wrote:

> > > If not, how can I access the kernel_* functions from a xdd ?
> >
> > You are right, they are only exported to the new style kernel
> > interface  (not the old one as still used by xfs/xdd). Anyway, before
> > you can write a  loopback driver we require block device support in
> > the kernel too.
>
> Even putting the loop device in the core kernel (like /kern, /shm,
> etc...) would not work without this block device ? So, I'm stuck with my
> idea, no loopback device for MiNT.

MiNT probably needs a block device driver eventually.  We may even be
able to gain a slight speed improvement.  However, doing it right might
require a certain integration with the as-yet-unwritten virtual address
space / virtual-memory system.