Re: [MiNT] Problem with mint 1.16 installation

Hello,

fre, 10,.06.2005 kl. 17.49 +0200, skrev Petr Stehlik:
> Odd Skancke píše v Čt 09. 06. 2005 v 17:50 +0200:
> > with black screen. I had this problem with the ET6K I had in my Hades.
> > However, the latest XaAES (as found in the CVS) turns the caches off
> > before calling v_opnwk()/v_clswk(), and this should cure it.
>
> I am surprised that an AES must play with CPU caches. Shouldn't XBIOS
> (or VDI, at worst) do that instead?

 Basically, doing any cache stuff should not be needed at all. But due
to not-so-perfect hardware, it turns out to be necessary. If anything
should do this it would be the video-card driver. And when the driver
does, it should use some OS call. For this to be clean, a defined API
for the driver(s) would have to be available by the time it runs. None
of these points are true. So, to overcome this problem, XaAES uses
Ssystem() to modify cache settings while the VDI changes resolution.

 This should not come as a surprice, tho.

 Best Regards,
Odd Skancke