Re: [MiNT] Problem with mint 1.16 installation

 Hello,

fre, 10,.06.2005 kl. 14.34 -0700, skrev Standa Opichal:
> Odd,
>
> OK, I was a little fuzzy it seems...
>
> To be clear: I do not get the idea of hacking AES to do workarounds when the
> videodriver is to be fixed. What is the point in making AES to shut caches
> off? It this a thing that the AES should do by design? I truly believe it is
> not.

 Agreed it is a hack. Agreed this is not a good idea. Agreed this is not
a thing the AES should do by design. I have been saying that all along,
right?

 Now, what choice do I have? Altho the AES is not the place to do this,
XaAES is a kernel module, and have access to the right API's so it can
make sure CPU caches are turned off before calling v_opnwk() then
restored immediately after. This is the best solution given the
situation. And since Ssystem() is a well documented system call, this
will work on any systems/architectures. The ideal situation would be for
such functionality to be available when the driver runs.

> So the real solution you ET whatever problem is to fix/wrap the HW driver to
> do what is necessary. If there is no API for the particular thing (a VDI
> card video driver in this case) that the closest documented API level is to
> be fixed IMHO (the VDI, right?).

 This is a problem most Hades owners (and all versions of the Nova VDI,
mach64, et6000 and Rage) suffers from, not just me. I did patch the et6k
driver to get rid of this problem, and it worked fine. However, patching
the video-driver like that will make it work only on 060 and compatible.

> That is just like the older NOVA HW driver on my friends TT doesn't have the
> VDI scrninfo() implemented. Would I patch HighWire to not to use this
> function or would I rather go and implement the VDI function for the single
> TT I have problem with?

 I do not understand what you are saying here? Please explain?

 If you think I added this for my own amusement, you better read what
Holger Schreiner wrote. Then I can tell you that Martin Byttebier
reported similar problems. Then you look at the date of the change, and
then I tell you that I havent had a Hades for almost a year (if not
longer...). As I also said above, I patched this for the ET6000 version
of emulator.prg a long time ago, and did not have this problem since
then. That is now 3-4 year ago, long before I started work on XaAES.

 Odd Skancke.