Re: [MiNT] Re[2]: GEM boost

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:54:58 , Maurits van de Kamp <maurits@bassment.nu> wrote:

Loads of SNIPS

> So at first glance it may seem the same, but it's a world of difference.
>
> Well, don't be afraid to hand over control over your application install as
> well when you get the chance. It really makes life easier. :o)
>
> Maurits.

I wasn't bashing any of the work that has been done with Freemint and the
RPMs, just trying to stand back and give the picture that an outsider might
see.

For the most part I just drive the system like those people who have no idea
how a car engine works. The only Uni* app that I installed and use is
pilot-xfer and I try to use the jpilot versiomn from X but it does hang-up
when used that way.

When GEM appeared I just avoided cli like the plague it is. I used to argue
with those fanatical DOS users who always told me that the WIMP environment
was a useless gimmick that would never catch on :-)Where are they now ?

Personally I can't be bothered with any command that has more than 2 or 3
parameters. Life's too short. Also, I've used so many systems that it's
too easy to forget which command to sue let alone the parameters.

I have this idea for writing a GEM app that can be used to drive lots of
cli commands from a config file based on the various parameters in the
readme. The config would be used to generate the radio buttons, tick boxes
and input fields etc. Nothing very fancy but just to make it easier to
run the more useful utils from GEM.

Regards,

Peter