Re: [MiNT] Cool new AES features

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 23:32 +0200, Zorro wrote:
> Evan Langlois a écrit :
>
> >>Do you want to use static and unoptimised libraries that take about 10
> >>Mb of disk space ( minimum) without the "image to screen" convertion
> >>code? Do you have forgot that we are on Atari?
> >>

> >Unoptimized?  Who says?
> >
> Yes, unoptimised.
>
> Have you studied the cairo code? I have do that to make my PDF codec.
>
> I don't know EVAS but I'm sure that it can't handle directly Bitmap in
> Atari format.
>

> >Stop using GCC 2.95 and upgrade,
> >
> Thanks but I use and you can find GCC 3.3.3 on my website since 1 year.
>
> >and they are
> >only static if you compile them that way.
> >
> Currently, MiNT doesn't support (ELF) external libraries.
>

> >Getting real loadable
> >libraries (instead of the non-standard kludge that currently exists) is
> >definately something that needs to be discussed, but AFTER a decent
> >virtual memory system is in place.

Mikro is working on this.  It was supposed to be done in a couple weeks
but it's been a long time since we've heard from him.  Last I heard he
was having problems with ARAnyM MMU.  Evan's ideas are at the Mercy of
others.  I think my idea with GIM was right for the atari platform.  Get
something done with great ideas, and fix it up more properly once you
have something working.  If we started taking the zview path and figured
out the compositing was necessary for png or something then we should
change to using some GPL lib, but for now, it's a quick and easy drop in
feature.

But for right now, the path of least resistance is the path we should
take.  We are underpowered and undermanned, even if it's only 90% a good
idea instead of 100% the best (full GPL libs).

Thanks,
Mark