Re: [MiNT] Samba document Part 1

This is what I wrote about my recent experience setting-up

Samba.

It would be really good if someone could test the installation

from this document and let me know if it needs any changes.

Regards,

Peter

Samba - Help for Mint Users

===========================

Install the 3 rpm packages

--------------------------

samba-....rpm

samba-client-....rpm

samba-common-....rpm

There are 3 tasks to perform to get the Samba server running:

1. Edit the smb.conf file in folder /etc/samba

2. create Samba users

3. start the server

The Samba server is started and stopped with these three commands:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/start

/etc/rc.d/init.d/restart

/etc/rc.d/init.d/stop

This will start smbd and nmbd which can be seen with the command

ps -A but first we need to configure everything.

Configuring smb.conf

--------------------

The smb.conf has two sections for global parameters and those that

define each shared folder.

1. Using a Mint friendly editor, open the smb.conf A few lines need

to be uncomented and changed.

2. Set the workgroup to match that of the Windows box, in my case

the Workgroup had the default setting of "Workgroup" so I have this

line:

   workgroup = Workgroup

3. Set the hosts.allow parameter to that of your local network(s):

   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 127.

4. When starting smbd it creates a logfile mine is set to write to:

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

5. Samba uses it's own password system for the connecting clients. To

use these options:

  encrypt passwords = yes

  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

6. Interfaces is used to sell Samba where to allow connections. I set this

to the same ip as my network card althought eth0 should work too (possibly

rtk0)

   interfaces = 192.168.0.201/24 127.0.0.1/8

The /24 is a way of declaring a 24 bit netmask. So 24 represents

255.255.255.0 because each 255 is 8 bits.

5. Each shared folder is given a name in [ ] brackets. I chose to enable the

Mint "home" folders by enabling the section:

[homes]

   comment = Home Directories

   browseable = no

   writable = yes