Re: [MiNT] Mint patches

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 11:43:39 , Vincent Rivière <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr> wrote:
> Peter Slegg wrote:
> > I was thinking ahead to what might be done once a release of GCC 4 is
> > ready.
>
> The only problem may be about static libraries (such as zlib,
> libpng...). They may not be compatible across multiple compilers.
> However, the binary compatibility of the C language is quite simple. In
> recent versions of GCC 4, I tried to keep the settings close to GCC
> 2.95, so I think there is no binary incompatibility (and if there are
> some, we have to clearly identify them, make simple testcases, and fix
> them). However, there is probably binary incompatibility issues with
> C++, but I don't think it is very important because there are not very
> much C++ libraries.
>
> About packages providing only executables (tar, coreutils...): no
> problem, just compile them with the new compiler, anyone will be able to
> use the resulting software.
>
> So let's go ahead !

Is it still worth freezing the current RPM distros for a while as
a fall back while the packages are updated to GCC 4 ?

A lot of packages need to be updated to the current or at least
newer sourcecode wherever possible but that is a much bigger task.
Getting popt to build gave me a small insight as to what is needed
and I didn't manage to get it into an rpm.

Peter