Re: [MiNT] the kernel

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:20:20 -0600, josephus <dogbird@earthlink.net> wrote:

> p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:

> > I had another crazy thought about enhancing the kernel.

> > From what I've read of the history of Mint, it was based on a BSD

> > like kernel and extended to allow GEM apps to run.

> > So intead of trying to add loads of modern OS features to FreeMint,

> > why not take a newer BSD and port the FreeMint back features into it ?

> > This has the advantage that the developers will be dealing with the

> > Atari/GEM features of FreeMint that they are familiar with rather

> > than trying to grapple with adding unfamiliar stuff into FreeMint.

> > However they would stll have to learn their way around unfamiliar BSD

> > code.

> > Peter

> A vm  NEEDS  a pit.  a programmable timer.   and context switching.  in

> the  OS.   then paging  4K blocks out of memory in a LRU (Last Resently

> Used)  method.   then you will have the basic structure of a VM.

You missed the point. Aren't these things all ready in BSD ?

Wouldn't it be easier to take BSD (680x0) and make it into a new Mint Kernel

that is compatible with VDI and AES ?

I appreciate that this is far from easy and creates a lot of questions.

Should it boot from AUTO or start like BSD ?

Should it remain on 680x0 hardware or would that be too slow ?

There may be some overlap with Aranym. I don't know what the goal

of