Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib for ColdFire

Vincent Rivière píše v Út 28. 04. 2009 v 19:58 +0200:
> emulation layer, but it would be nice if we could compile programs
> specifically for ColdFire in order to get the maximum performance.

If there are to be binaries compiled for ColdFire then I'd suggest to
add some CPU checking code into the crt.S to detect when it's not
running on a CF compatible processor and halt in such case. I think that
ColdFire is not compatible with m68k so it would be unfortunate if m68k
people would try running ColdFire code.

> ColdFire CPUs are basically like the 68030, a lot faster, cheaper, but with
> a *reduced* instruction set.

...and differently behaving instructions with the same opcodes...

> I hope you agree for this enhancement of the MiNTLib, and you will enjoy the
> speed of that new executables on the new ColdFire computer.

If there is going to be a specific version of libraries, manually
adjusted assembler code and GCC compiling new binaries for the specific
target then I don't get why bothering with overpriced ColdFire boards
when you can get magniture faster computers based on VIA or AMD
processors, get them cheaper and get them now.

Petr