[MiNT] GCC 4.4.0 cross-compiler available

GCC 4.4.0 has been released last week, I have updated the MiNT patches and the Cygwin binaries. They are available at the usual place:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/

On one of my own projects using intensive C++ templates and inlining, I noticed an improvement when using -O3. As expected, the generated code is faster (and bigger) than when using the standard -O2. In previous versions, I had to use -O2 and specific optimization flags to achieve the same performance. It is even a bit better.

I didn't notice any other significant change.
The full list of new features is here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html

There is no known problem with the C compiler.

In C++, there is still the "cout bug" when outputting an int to cout. It appeared several versions ago. I was thinking it was a bug in GCC appearing only on a.out targets. I've just noticed that it crashes differently between ARAnyM (MiNT) and Steem (TOS), so the problem may be elsewhere.

About multilib:
I removed the m68020-60/mshort multilib, because as far as I know it is totally useless. I also added a new multilib named "mcfv4e" for compiling code for CPUs of the ColdFire V4e family (reduced instruction set, FPU, MMU). It can be used by compiling with "-mcfv4e". Currently, only the GCC libraries (libc.a and libstdc++.a) are available for that target.

About native RPM:
Mark and Keith have made a lot of work for providing a native RPM of GCC 4.3.3. There is still work to do (MPFR testcases failing, etc...)
So I left my old patches here if someone needs them:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/unsupported/old/
However, the compilation process of GCC 4.4.0 is exactly the same as with GCC 4.3.3, so their work can probably be easily continued by using the new version. I upgraded the GMP and MPFR versions, too, without any problem.

I didn't update the binutils, there is still work in progress for the stack settings.

Let's continue to keep the tools up to date !

--
Vincent Rivière