[MiNT] GCC 4.4.0 MiNT Native Compiler and Partial PS3/Linux Cross Tools

Hi List,

Have built a native GCC/G++ toolchain for anyone who wants to experiment. Can not say it is bug free, although I was able to use g++ to build my ScummVM. You can get it here:

http://www.radix.net/~atari/mint/gcc-4.4.0-mint-1.tar.bz2

If you extract this in / it will install under the /usr prefix and the binaries have the suffix of -4.4.0, so it will coexist with GCC 2.95.3 (I believe).

I actually use a simple script to switch between them:

(gcc4)
rm /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.4.0 /usr/bin/gcc
rm /usr/bin/g++
ln -s /usr/bin/g++-4.4.0 /usr/bin/g++
rm /usr/bin/gcov
ln -s /usr/bin/gcov-4.4.0 /usr/bin/gcov

(gcc2)
rm /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc.2.95.3 /usr/bin/gcc
rm /usr/bin/g++
ln -s /usr/bin/g++.2.95.3 /usr/bin/g++
rm /usr/bin/gcov
ln -s /usr/bin/gcov-2.95.3 /usr/bin/gcov

Of course, the GCC 2.95.3 binaries will need to be renamed before using this.

This was build on a Sony PS3 Running Yellow Dog Linux 6.1. I am putting together the packages for the cross compiler on this target as well. So far I have:

http://www.radix.net/~atari/mint/gcc-4.4.0-mint-20090426-bin-ps3linux32.tar.bz2
This is the gcc package.

http://www.radix.net/~atari/mint/mintbin-0.3-bin-ps3linux32-20080209.tar.bz2
This is the mintbin package.

The only package currently missing is Binutils because I am having problems creating a statically built toolset. The other packages needed can be retrieved from Vincent's site (mintlib, pml).

Anyway, these tools *SHOULD* run on any PS3 Linux distribution (they are statically linked and 32 bit, and optimized for the PPU chip in the PS3), and should also run on any Mac/Amiga G5 Linux system as well, or so I am told.

Keith