Re: [MiNT] XaAES

Am 18.08.2009, 22:28 Uhr, schrieb Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>:

Helmut Karlowski skreiv:

I just wanted to state that I'm currently working on an improvement of
xaaes.

Ok, I know that this mail is a bit old, but I have a couple of bugs/"features" that could need fixing if you want to. I have been looking (briefly) into them myself, but to be honest I'm not looking forward to spend time waiting for gcc to do its stuff. I don't have a cross-compiling environment, and even my Milan is too slow for gcc IMHO.

1. Don't use ' ' (space) as Alt-shortcut in dialogs.

Already changed to insert in my current version.

2. Menubar in windows doesn't work properly. It's been a while since I looked into this, but among other things the menu stops working when the window that owns it is un-iconified. I have a test-program that use this feature that can be used as a test-case.

I never had an example for this.

3. Redrawing the menu bar (in a window) only works the "proper" way (wind_set(handle, WF_TOOLBAR, NULL, 0, 0)) when the window has a toolbar attached. If the window doesn't have a toolbar, you'll have to use the old form_dial(FMD_FINISH...-trick.

Same as 2.

BTW: Nobody has tried one of my changes yet, right?

Ok, here is my latest Changes-file (feel free to discuss - I'm not gonna do much on this in the future)

13.08.09

- New features

	- Form_do-dialogues

		- Insert-key selects/deselects an object (dialog, alert-box)

If an object is SELECTABLE, pressing the Insert-key now toggles the SELECTED-state. This should not interfere with any application, because Insert had no meaning in form_do before. If you want to use the "feature" to delete to eol of previous versions, you can press any F-key.

I just noticed that this also works in Toswin2.6 (partly), so it seems not to be restricted on
			classic form_do.

The old behaviour (select with Space) has been removed for objects can be SELECTABLE and
			EDITABLE at the same time

	-List-Windows

		- Copy List-Entry to Clipboard

			By pressing Ctrl-C the marked List-Entry is copied  to Clipboard

			Press Cursor-key Up or Down before using this.

	- Fileselector

		- Shortcut to open menu

			The menu is opened by Ctrl-o.

		- Copy Path/File to Clipboard

By pressing Ctrl-C the path and the marked file (if any) is copied to Clipboard.

	- Syslog-window

		- It is resizeable now

		- Entries are sorted by name

- Keyboard-navigation in list is working (Cursor-right:open tree,Cursor-left:collapse up/down: the obvious)

	- Taskmanager

		- It is resizeable now

- If exited with Ok, and a client is selected, this client is topped. Unselect with Insert.

- Fixes/Changes

	- Form_do-dialogues

		- Sightly changed the search algorithm in ob_find_next_any_flagstate()

The items do not have to be placed in a perfect grid but may have more deliberate coordinates.
			This affects horizontal moves between the dialog-items.

		- Consistance between focus and edited object on first open of a dialog.

Sometimes the focus pointed to another object than keyboard input went to.

In windowed mode, if the focussed object is EDITABLE, keyboard-input now goes to it.
			In nonwindowed dialogs this is not guaranteed (see below).

	- Fileselector

- now creates ALT-shortcuts that dont conflict with drive-letters, if possible.

		- PageUp/Down(Shift-CU/CD) pages the filelist.

- Shift-Home(Shift-Pos1) goes to the end, another one sets the cursor to the file
				before the last file (This should be the last - I'm working on it).

- on entry focus is in the filelist, so the first Cursor Up/Down moves the Cursor there.
				Use Shift-TAB or mouse to focus on the edit-field.

		- italic text is now displayed completely (even if fvdi is used).

		- Path-Beautifying

No mixure of / and \ in the Path. The first / or \ is used for all sparators.

		-Menu

			- Sort by Art is now called Sort by Ext. (new resource-file needed)

- Sorting is now case-sensitive, i.e. Z is placed before a (like ls does).

- File-Pattern is now case-sensitive, except an all-uppercase pattern is given by the caller
			or the filesystem is uppercase (like FAT)

		- non-visible changes

			- increase in rendering-speed (Sort by Name-mode mainly)
This is most obvious on a slow computer like Atari TT (>5 times faster at ~250 files).

	- Fontselector

		- Displays all available fonts

		- Return closes and accepts (new resource-file needed)

	- Shell

		- give launched apps their own pgrp so killgroup cannot affect XaAES

	- General

- removed several unused global symbols, made others that where used in one file ony, static.
			This saves some Kb in the executable.

--

- Todo/Wishlist:

 - Fixes

	- Copy List-Entry to Clipboard

		Selected item should be copied without using any key before.

	- Form_do-dialog

		- Respect form_do-Parameter (non-windowed mode)

At open of a dialog, the first focussed object is quite arbitrary. It should be the one given in the form_do( tree, ob ) - call by the client, at least on the first opening. In effect keyboard-input correctly goes to the first item, but this is not always the one
		that ist focussed.

	- Fileselector

		- Horizontal slider

			- does not always recognize clicks
				-> Go one dir up, enter again to scroll

			- size is sometimes incorrect

			- often drawn unnessecarily

		- Rendering

- The distance between the columns is not perfect if the layout changed due to longer names.

			- Background-Color is not really white (on win-aranym).

		- Selected item not always in edit-field

Same as for clipbrd-copy: Cursor-Up/Down nessecary to copy the filename to the edit-field.
			(fixed?)

		- Keyboard-movement

			- no way to select the last entry directly
				-> go to first (Pos1/Home), press Cursor up
			(nearly fixed)

		- Special directories

- if trying to go back up from a non existing or special system-directory (/shm, /nfs),
				Cursor-left noes not work.
				Mouse and Ctrl-Backspace do.

		- Further speed-improvement.

	- List-Windows

		- sometimes wrong selection of widgets.

	-	General

		- Resources

The memory-usage can possibly be reduced (it uses ~500kb more than version 0.997).

		- Usability

If a program is very busy and does not respond, the menu is inaccassible. One can only kill this program via the task-manager or wait until it is finished (try Highwire on a very
			big html-file)

	- Main-menu

		- Resolution-Change

			- This feature is disabled (as it was in the original)
				-> Remove from menu or implement it

		- System Log/Environment

			Well ..

-

 - New features

	- More Editing features in form_do

Many special-keys for editing could be used to make it still more comfortable to use (old good)
		form_do (End, Beg, Next Word, Delete Word, Overwrite ...).

	- Fileselector

		-	Select the columns to be displayed

		- Specify sort-direction (ascending/descending)

		-	Remember settings (global - for all apps)

		-	Select the font to be used

	- Taskmanager

		- Display more apps -> like top, maybe as tree

		- Display memory/CPU-usage as graph for each client/prog

		- Display memory/CPU-usage as graph for the whole system

		- Display network-traffic as graph (for each client/prog?)

	- AESSYS

- Somehow prevent AESSYS being killed accidently (kill <some wrong typed pid> ...)

helmut.karlowski@ish.de