Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.4.2 and binutils 2.20

Philipp Donzé wrote:
I've compiled Vincents cross-compiler patch for Mac OS X. Available at
  http://xn--donz-epa.ch/atari/articles/cross-compiler

Nice ! Now Mac users will be able to easily use the cross-compiler :-)

I can't test your binaries because I don't have a Mac, but I have looked closely to your packages.

You say that the cross-compiler must be installed into the directory /usr/local/cross-mint

Then you propose to unpack the packages with:
tar xvzf FILENAME --directory /usr/local

This is correct for binutils, mintbin and gcc.
But in your library archives (mintlib, pml, gemlib), you didn't include the "cross-mint" directory, so I guess they should be extracted with:
tar xvzf FILENAME --directory /usr/local/cross-mint

I also found something strange in your binutils archive. Inside the "man1" directory, there are small files beginning with "." with the same names as the gzipped man mages. By looking at their contents, it seems that it is the "Launch Services File Quarantine" feature of Leopard. As far as I understood, this is an extra tag for files recently downloaded, to provide a warning message when opening potentially dangerous downloaded program files. I don't know how these files have been generated (because obviously you have generated the gzipped man pages, not downloaded them). You should remove them before building the archive.
I found some information here:
http://theappleblog.com/2008/03/26/disabling-launch-services-file-quarantine/

Anyway, these are really minor issues.

Thank you for spreading the cross-compiler !
Some people answered with "Mac OS X" to my recent poll, they should be happy with your binaries :-)

--
Vincent Rivière