Re: [MiNT] Configure internet using null modem cable

Le Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:32:51 +0100
Piotrek <mietniow@agh.edu.pl> a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> I can try to configure laptop with Kubuntu distribution of Linux with
> atari falcon CT63 via null modem cable.
> I could using information from Patric Mandin wepage by PPP protocol:
>
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/patrice.mandin/en/howto-net-ppp.html
>
> On the laptop because I have not port RS232 I used USB2RS232 converter
>
> I check using command: ls -ltra /dev/
> and I have information
>
> crw-rw----   1 root dialout 188,   0 2009-11-21 12:02 ttyUSB0
>
> On the linux I used this comand
>
> pppd -detach crtscts lock noauth local 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2
> /dev/ttyUSB0 57600 &

Yep, that's what I have on Linux side.

> Using interface ppp0
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> but after a few second I have this message
>
> LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> Connection terminated.
> Modem hangup
>
> On the atari I used command
>
> pppd -detach crtscts lock noauth local 192.168.0.2:192.168.0.1 /dev/ttyS1
> 57600 &

I also have 'defaultroute' listed between noauth and local, for the
Atari side.

> And I have alert with this information pid 128 (pppd): opening global
> handle (U:\dev\tts1)
>
> and after a moment i have the same
> LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>
> Somebody know what is a problem ?

The messages 'CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests' are not a problem.
Usually, it tells me when the link is up and running:

Here is just what I got, when I run:

linux# /root/run-ppp.sh
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local  IP address 192.168.2.10
remote IP address 192.168.2.50
(and after 30 seconds)
CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

atari# /root/run-ppp.sh
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
local  IP address 192.168.2.50
remote IP address 192.168.2.10
(and after 30 seconds)
CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

My hints: Start with a slower speed (19200 or lower). If it works, but
not on higher speeds, check on the Linux side that your tty can really
be set to 57600 or 115200. Maybe you would need to install 'setserial'
package for high speeds. I don't know how usb<->serial converters work.
Also, be sure your cable is correctly and fully wired.

I run my serial link between PC and Falcon CT60 at 115200 bauds,
without any problems.

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://pmandin.atari.org/