Re: [MiNT] XaAES sources for FreeMiNT 1.16.3

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Johan Klockars <johan@klockars.net> wrote:
>> guy who just posted recently a blog concerning certain parts of this
>> particular conversation, and other VDI related ones too, he was the
>> guy who came and handed you your official Atari documentation. He is
>
> Huh? I have never seen, much less been handed, any official Atari documentation.

generically speaking, "you" as in a person who asked for it

As for the ASM stuff, I thing Coldfire dev's have raised this issue
regarding EmuTOS and is amount of ASM, but I would say it is more
because current AS use some instructions by default that "break" on
Coldfire.

I do also understand some people "feelings" on dealing with assembler,
however, in that respect, a good set of macro definitions can give you
"a feeling of a real language" (C or otherwise)

I prefer ASM for specific tasks, and as I mention in the ARAnyM list,
and to a lesser degree on th ACP list, I would draw on the extensive
history that is the showboat for Atari ST's, the demo scene coders, as
they are most likely to have code that can be used straight away, some
of whom may be willing to supply code that is MiNT/EmuTOS complient,
with or without FPU, for both vectore and bitmap, and (possible) can
downgrade full 32bit (argb) on the fly, or with "hard core" palette
lookup algorithms (or lookup table generators)

The true benifit of ASM pieces in crucial points, will allow more
current (now aging) hardware to gain immediate benefits in speed, and
more often that not, in memory usage as well.

For anyone else who is reading this, and has not read my latest post
in ARAnyM list (or related ACP list posts), I am proposing the same
additions of ASM to XaAES (along with full AES implementaions) to be
added in forth coming v2, after a stable and uptodate v1 has been
finalized (one that is still config compatible with current versions).

This XaAES v2 development should coincide with revisions of AES and
VDI and related functions (like XBIOS if needed), eg. AES v5,
revisions that can "last to the end of this millenium" as it were

I will make another thread just now, regarding test apps for AES and VDI...

Thanks again for the fVDI (knowledge) update, at some point I will
look into allowing the other "drivers" access to ASM benefits

Paul