Re: [MiNT] 68000 kernel compile

Paul Wratt wrote:
while doing a "make all" for XaAES I noticed a lot of warnings during
the first part of the build process, which is the 68000 kernel build,
and wondered if this would not lead to an explanation as to why MiNT
currently does not run on an ST (according to other posts I have read,
and one bug report)

Personally I have very few knowledge of the FreeMiNT kernel.

I tried once to get it work on Steem, it crashed with bombs. But maybe I did something wrong. Or something is incompatible with Steem hard disk emulation. This certainly requires some investigation.

About the warnings, every occurrence is specific. It may be a harmless indication, or a big issue. Every warning line has to be examined separately.

A very evil warning is "dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules" in GCC 4.x. Is is usually harmless, but not always. The strict-aliasing rules lead to better optimization, but can break some old code. If unsure, this optimization can be disabled with -fno-strict-aliasing.

Without any clue, we can't establish a direct link between the compilation warnings and the ST crash.

--
Vincent Rivière