Re: [MiNT] XaAES sources for FreeMiNT 1.16.3

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
From: "Vincent Rivière" <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:19 PM
To: <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] XaAES sources for FreeMiNT 1.16.3

I don't want to say here that GCC is bad software.
Like any software, it has bugs. And 99.5% of the time, it works very well. It has not more bugs than other software of the same size, it has

The biggest problem with gcc is not bugs. As you say, it actually works very well. The real problem is that it's very, very, very, very slow. Even on my Milan060 it's too slow to be used for actual development. Sometimes I wish that MiNT/XaAES could be compiled with PureC again. Then I could even look for and possibly fix bugs myself. Now I'm just too impatient to wait for gcc to finish. I was poking around XaAES about a year ago, doing some minor modifications just to get familiar with the code. I gave up. I make too many errors while typing, and spent too much time waiting for gcc to tell me that something is wrong, but it can't tell me where. It's easier with Pure C. Alt+C, and in a second I get a long, nice list of my errors, with (correct!) line-numbers and all.

I think the answer to this is distcc. Use a hosted gcc cross compiler on a fast linux box and set gcc to do all the work on that, putting the results back to your milan. I don't know if it will work and I haven't had a lot of time lately, but this is how I intend to improve performance of my aranym build farm.

Thanks,
Mark