Re: [MiNT] Thing and MiNT

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Lonny Pursell <atari@bright.net> wrote:
> on 12/31/09 8:34 AM, Paul Wratt wrote:
>
>> Hmm.. its a shame you lost the archive, I would have thrashed out an
>> english version for you (an others) is you still had it
>
> Someone gave it to me upon request.  I am registered, but I didn't want to
> bother Thomas again for my own mistake, nor did I want to wait. I'm on
> holiday this week so now the translation is done, thus it is now in proper
> English.  I ported the English from 1.27 to 1.29b and only really had to
> deal with about 8 new alert boxes and maybe a free string or two. Some kind
> folks on IRC helped a bit to clarify what little needed touched up.
>
>> I am not 100% on this yet, but there may be some alternate "Thing"
>> movement in coming months. Weather or not this is a repackaged Thing I
>> can not say, probably just Thing compatible/complient..
>
> I then found at least 3 minor bugs in 1.29b right away.  Two visible
> glitches in the RSC verified by using the original German RSC as well.  Plus
> the ramdisk is re-broken, as the window does not update on deletes.  Very
> disappointing since that was my main reason for finally installing it.  I
> use the ramdisk extensively for my GFA library build system.

so the focus bug was gone, but some others introduced, so its a pain
to use, even more than with the focus bug..

>> If someone was to take the time to track down the problem with 1.27, I
>> am sure there is someone who would produce a patch for it.
>
> I then remembered there was Thing version 1.27b.  So I tracked down the
> needed files and patched 1.27 to 1.27b, that was fun since all the docs and
> patch stuff was in German.  Lol  Much to my surprise the ramdisk now works
> quite nicely, even on deletes.  I have also spent the time to fully port
> 1.27B to English.   So I'm sticking with 1.27b for now.
>
> Btw, one of the RSC glitches appears in 1.27b, and seems to have migrated to
> 1.29b.

Can you make the RSC available, and give us a link to the 1.27b. I do
remember having that or maybe even 1.27c (although I might be
confusing it with something else)

>> FYI: if it is true as PeterS states, then there are still quite a few
>> users of kernel 1.16 out there (confirmed by Lonny)
>
> Quite likely, some like myself do not want to be a beta tester.  I use the
> machine for some serious work and I need to know when it is unstable that it
> is something I have done, and not the OS or installed components acting up.
> :o))

This is one of the benefits of using ARAnyM, as opposed to actual
hardware, although anyone with one of the pc-card IDE interface
adapters would have the same flexibility. As for stability, even I use
1.16 for my full work environments, both EasyMint, and AFROS style
setups, but on AFROS its more about the interface (pixel format and
WindFrame texturing)

> --
> Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/

BTW those using 1.16, has anyone tried those XaAES gradient binaries I
did, or the patch (source replacement) for 1.16.3 I posted?

Paul