Re: [MiNT] mono

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Helmut Karlowski
<helmut.karlowski@ish.de> wrote:
> Am 31.01.2010, 22:56 Uhr, schrieb Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>:
>
>> We got to think about where we're headed. Is the ultimate goal of
>> FreeMiNT that it should mimic unix as closely as possible? I'm not very
>> interested in unix stuff, I just want to create and use GEM-applications
>> in a stable, multitasking environment. I'd rather see time and effort
>
> I agree here, but that doesn't mean that VM and threads should not be
> implemented.
>
> As for mono: I think first do the above and then see what is possible.
>
> --
> Helmut Karlowski

Agreed

I see mono as the pivot point of what you can and cant develop on a
native platform (combined with modern gcc & dev environments), and
weather or not the resulting programs can perform of the current
"average" spec TOS plaform

I do however think that with some collective/concerted effort to beef
up the speed and/or size of MiNT and TOS/GEM libs, that there would be
at least a couple more solid years work of performance out of those
same average spec machines

To be clear here though, there is a boundary which once crossed will
doom current average machines to STFM/STE status, which is what I
refer to atm as TO5 and TO5 Legacy Free, essentially creating an upper
limit of respectable "modern OS" for these self same average spec
machines, while at the same time allow for newer and future hardware
to benefit immensely without loosing compatibility, thereby drawing
out the older platforms lifespan for another decade, at least at
source level, synonymous with what DMG packages achieve

Well, the research shows it is viable, so its just a matter of seeing
how far it can be pushed, and what the real benefits for either side
of the equation are..

Lets see a new stable MiNT release and then some good reforms on the
XaAES side to assist in the development of those ideas, I'm definitely
looking forward to the next 12 months of development work in this and
other related areas.. some of which is going to be really exciting,
even for those average spec machines an platforms..

Cheers

Paul