Re: [MiNT] QED

On 1/7/10 2:53 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
Hi,

On Thursday 07 January 2010, p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
a) Fork qed.
b) Don't fork, but make it possible to compile a plain text-editor as
well as the complete IDE.
c) Don't integrate everything into one binary, but create several tools
and tie them together with a clever protocol.

Personally I'd prefer (c).
I like  (c) too, but what about extending AHCC instead of QED?

I was under the impression AHCC was just a command line compiler. I'll check it out.
It's easier to create several small tools
than one huge program. And it's easier to debug and easier to maintain.
You will get the project to a usable state quicker, and it would be
easier to extend it with new tools later on.
I am not a Java fan either (nor C for that matter) but IDEA is a good
IDE.

Whether you decide to branch QED or just develop it, the older versions
of QED will remain and there are other editors.

A set of tools would have to be well integrated to work well.

Are there any open source IDE projects we could borrow from ?

IDEA has loads of features, many of which I never use but here are some
of the basic features I like and rely on, in no particular order.

Editor
* can jump from a variable/function use to it's definition
* can search code for usages of a function/object
* can see changed modules and which lines and rollback individual changes

CVS
* can compare local code with CVS rep
* can merge bits of code from CVS into local version
* easy to CVS update/commit/checkout/rollback

Debug
* easily set breakpoints in code
* can ignore breakpoints without having to remove them
* jump from errors to code
* can see all variable in scope and values
Using which debugger?

I was thinking of using GDB as the backend. GDB supports client/server debugging so I don't think it'll be an uphill battle to implement. The IDE would primarily be centered around gcc building/makefile builds. I was looking over QED's code all morning. It's super clean. very easy to understand even though it's sparsely commented.

Thanks,
Mark