Re: [MiNT] mono

Hi,

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Am 01.02.2010, 23:35 Uhr, schrieb Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>:
> >> As for mono: I think first do the above and then see what is possible.
> >
> > To put it this way - do we really want to spend CPU cycles on a
> > run-time interpreter? Is this how to get compact and responsive
> > applications on our system?
> It's not really an interpreter it's more a JIT-compiler. At least it's
> big brother .net. The programs run at roughly 90% of the speed of native
> compiled versions. But that's not something I really need on atari, to
> make this clear.

JIT is no magic bullet.

JIT doesn't optimize the native code it produces nearly as well as a real
compiler, for obvious performance reasons (GCC can do compiles slowly,
JIT would be useless if it would spend as much time analyzing & optimizing
the code).

JIT will also use more memory (to stored the translated code) and usually
slows down startup.  If the code repeats same things often, then it can
help with performance.

	- Eero