[MiNT] Re : LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

Hi,

> What are the pro's and cons of LDGs, SLBs and custom overlays

If I remember well:

- The SLB need to be supported by the host OS( or by a third party TSR?), the LDG work anywhere.
- With the TSR installed( Which is not mandatory), the LDG can be shareable, that mean that if several applications use the same LDG, then
this LDG is loaded only once in memory. The SLB are not shareable.

Personally, I used the LDG because the API was well documented and because it work anywhere.

But to be honest, none of these solutions are perfect and the only clean way to have real shareable libraries is
to implement the dynamic library mechanism in MiNT.

> My personal impressions:
> - SLB's are supported by the OS (MagiC, FreeMiNT and TOS w. BetaDOS)

The SLB *must* be supported by the OS.

> And the LDG + memory protection issue - why is this?

Thanks to MiKRO, it's an old problem :-)

--
Zorro