Re: [MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

From: "Paul Wratt" <paul.wratt@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:54 AM
To: "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

For this job there is alway's a good reason to add to system, this is memory management, simple application have no sure way to lock a memory bloc if a
software allocate a memory bloc and crash there is no way to forbid
destruction by the system, even Mint SHM not lock memory (I don't remember
if Mint share the memory or do a copy, I think it share it).

Are you sure? I had the impression that a shared memory block exists as long as atleast one process has an open handle on it. So if two apps (or a shared lib and an app) shares a memory block and one of them crashes, the memory block will not be freed.

This is a real big problem to share memory to be able lock we should do a
server, if it crash or kill all applications using libs will crash.

With SLB this is taken care of by the kernel.

The server idea means more overhead, something which is a current
problem for low spec machine.

That's true, and it's not necessary either.

garbage collector also, that they can be updated or changed or even

What do you mean by "garbage collector"?

The documentation for all these just needs to be consolidated and made
available in at least one (if not 2 or more) central locations, as LDG

SLB is documented in tos.hyp. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of broken links in tos.hyp (well, atleast in the HTML-version at toshyp.atari.org) ATM.

Jo Even

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4830 (20100203) __________

http://www.eset.com