Re: [MiNT] Kabooter - Splash screen for Falcons!

2010/3/10 Stefan Niestegge <beetle@abbuc.de>:
> George Nakos schrieb:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  Allow me to contribute with another release for MiNT (well it can be
>>  used under PlainTOS too, but I wrote it with MiNT in mind):
>>
>>  Kabooter!
>>
>>  This  program  will  load  a  640x480x256c pic and replace all those
>>  boring  boot  messages you get while booting mint. Press ESC and you
>>  can get back to watching the console output.
>>
>>  Binaries, source and instructions here:
>>  http://users.hol.gr/~ggn/kabooter.zip
>>
>>  Tested on various Falcons in 030 and 060 mode.
>>

>>  Hope you like it! It was 1 day of happy hacking around :)
>>

> I do like it!
>
> Some messages slip through, if you run xaaes through init - like on the
> usual EasyMiNT setup.
This is normal with older versions, but it should not happen with the
latest ones

> Therefore i did a 'cp kabotend.prg to /usr/bin/kabooter-end' and set its
> executable flags.
> Then i added "kabooter-end" to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.nfs, right before
> the "exit 0" line.

there are other places to add this too..

> I know this is not nice, but at least now only the xaaes.km messages are
> left visible.
> If there is a clean way to make sure the Kabouter is killed right before
> xaaes starts, i'd appreciate a hint.

this might be an good thing to add to XaAES, a kill process command.
If this is done then a "on shutdown" command should also be added
(somehow?)

> Greetings,
> Beetle

Miros comment on using VDI would be good, and the idea of (at least
optionally) being able to combine it with Peps MiNT loader would be a
bonus... which sums up the idea I had for a nix(grub/lilo) style boot
load sequence

I have only one other query, to get text output on a custom background
at boot time..

Thanks for the code and the app, George, great stuff..

Paul