[MiNT] ARGV protocol

Hi,
though this question is only somewhat relative to MiNT, I think it will be useful. I wrote a small program to handle unarchiving zip rar gz tar etc files with the less possible hassle for the user. Unfortunately the limitations of GEMDOS stop me from including really long filepaths (above 125 chars long ) or filenames. Though that's not a very big limitation in TOS, there are situations under MiNT that it's really a problem.
The way I understand it I have to implement the ARGV protocol. Unfortunately I didn't understand how I am supposed to do it from the specs so if someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful. Also I suspect that tar, gunzip etc will not be ARGV compliant as child processes. Will that be a problem? Also does MiNT offer a solution to this problem that doesn't include using the ARGV process?
Thanks in advance