Re: [MiNT] boot message redirected to serial ?

From: "Alan Hourihane" <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:22 PM
To: "Miro Kropacek" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
Cc: "Mariusz Buras" <mariusz.buras@gmail.com>; <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] boot message redirected to serial ?

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 12:12 +0200, Miro Kropacek wrote:
Hi,

        Is it possible to redirect boot message to serial line ? It
        would be awesome as a development aid of a network driver.
It is, but I'm not sure what exact steps you need to take. Definitely
you need debug version of kernel... probably best to look into
sources, I'm 100% sure Frank used serial line for kernel development a
lot.

Right. You need a debug kernel and in the MINT.INI you can specify where
the debug output is sent. Alternatively hit the SHIFT key when prompted
and you can toggle where you want the output.

He is talking about "boot message", not debug output. So if you want to redirect the console to the serialport you can change the console-device in mint.cnf:

CON=u:\dev\serial1

Of course, the actual device depends on your hardware.

Jo Even