Re: [MiNT] Multi-Target SpareMiNT (RPM) Thoughts - How to do it maybe

Am 01.06.2010 10:26, schrieb Vincent Rivière:
Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
Also, some 68k binarys perform better than the 68040 ones.
fVDI for example, the 68k one gives a score (Kronos, VDI test) of 155% on my system, and if i use the fvdi_040.prg instead, score goes down to 122% (Reference system: Powermac 8600 ).

Then there must be something seriously wrong with the compiler...

I would be interested to see the results with a GCC 4.x compiled fVDI.
However, since these low-level software usually contain assembler sources, the compiler CPU settings are not fully relevant. Of course, we should never see inverted results like those reported here.

I don't know how they were compiled, i just grabbed the binarys off the FTP server.

I'd also think that an 040 optimized build should do better than the stock 68k build.

There is also an ascii art converter that i have benchmarked in 68k and 040 flavors. Its also faster with the 68k binary.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677862