Re: [MiNT] patch:MiNT:single-task

Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 17:56 +0000, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> > Alan Hourihane wrote:
> >
> > Also there could come up problems when the bits 16,17 are set in p_flags
> > and the kernel does not support ST-mode, because I suspect these are
> > also used internally by MiNT for memory-protection-control. So at least
> > the part that resets these bits should go into any kernel.
>
> Eh? Not sure I follow. If MP is using these bits they you'd need to find
> some other bits regardless.

I'm not using them - they just signal to the kernel and get translated
into another variable, then reset. Anyway they could be set by mistake
regardless of single-task etc. I'm not sure if it's easy to find a bit
in p_flags that is not used by MiNT.

The high-word of p_flags should always get zeroed when launching a prog IMHO.

> But if you mean someone using the new XaAES with an older kernel would
> break, then maybe you need to examine something in /kern to detect a
> featureset available. As that could happen regardless of the #ifdef.

It would just not work, and XaAES would not notice anything.
So the only place to tell the user would be the kernel by ALERT or similar.

> Alan.
>
> PS. You seem to be removing the MiNT list from your replies, either that
> or you are BCC'ing the MiNT list.

You mean this:

Alan Hourihane <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>

?

I thought it would be a real clever way to reply ;) It's done by my
handmade macro-driven E-Mailer. Does it cause any problems?

-Helmut