Re: [MiNT] Keyboard-problem with XaAES helmut-branch

From: "Helmut Karlowski" <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 11:48 AM
To: <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Cc: <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Keyboard-problem with XaAES helmut-branch

Just type ps > /dev/console to see the effect.

But I never do this. How often is the console used by unix programs? I'm quite sure that in almost all cases they're run in a shell. As I said, I've been using unix-apps (started with KGMD) since 1995 on my Falcon and this has never been an issue. I've never had any problems with console output until COOKED was made default ;-)

I must use \r\n on all my programs to get correct stderr-output on
background-apps. So for me it's better to set console to COOKED.

\r\n is the expected behaviour under TOS/GEM.

But the real solution is to have no COOKED but translation as I said before.

I don't think so. Then programs that expects ln to be nothing more than ln won't work.

You may run the stty from xaaes.cnf if you want RAW console. No great
deal, is it?

No, and exactly why this should be used to switch to COOKED instead of RAW ;-) COOKED is not what TOS/GEM-apps expect of the console, so to me it makes sense to switch TO this mode, not from.

Jo Even