Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

Am Mittwoch, den 07.07.2010, 16:27 +0200 schrieb Peter Slegg

> I don't know much about the inner VDI workings, I am asking so that
> I might learn a bit more.
>
> This seems a bit low-level for a browser. What is it that Netsurf is
> trying to draw ?

Generally it's so that netsurf requires each port to fill in an plotter
struct with function pointers to methods like:
draw_circle,
draw_line,
draw_bitmap
draw_text
etc...

With these methods the page is rendered.
If you use the framebuffer port, you use the framebuffer lib to draw the
stuff, if you use windows, you use windows calls within these methods...
etc.
Maybe it's a bit special, but with the framebuffer port you can also
specify which bit depth the framebuffer has... you can specify 16 bit
surface with an 256 colors falcon and stuff is working. you can also use
that 16 bit surface for 16 bit color ataris, or 15bit... it works. That's
magic to me. It happens in SDL somewhere...

The implementation of these draw methods is very port-specific. It's the
only way to leave such low level methods to the port implementation.

Greets,
Ole