Re: [MiNT] Issue with XHDI

2010/9/27 David Gálvez <dgalvez75@gmail.com>:
> I think the call XHNewCookie is the solution, this call would allow
> the MiNT handle to be on the top of the XHDI chain, unlike the cookie
> substitution method. The XHDI specification says that this call have
> to be tried before changing the cookie.
> Although this call is optional is supported by HDDriver, that sure is
> the most used hard disk driver for Atari, and it could be implemented
> in EmuTOS.
> It could be explained in the documentation that MiNT only allows
> multiple hardisk drivers if they support XHNewCookie.
>
> Right now the kernel handle doesn't pass this call to the driver.
> This is taken from the sources:
>
> "/* XHNewCookie and XHMiNTInfo are never allowed */
>    if (op == 9 || op == 16)
>        return ENOSYS;"
>
> The best would be to clarify why before modifying this.

I've looked again into this and the reason it looks now very obvious,
MiNT isn't allowing XHNewCookie in his XHDI handle because calls that
go through this handle could come from user application and from the
MiNT point of view none user application should try to install itself
as a driver, so i forget about modifying the code above.

Then to install another XHDI driver with MiNT, i have two options:
1) create a TSR and put it before the kernel in the auto folder.
2) from a kernel module calling XHNewCookie but not through the kernel
XHDI handle but directly as the kernel does with other XHDI functions
in block_io.c, i must see how this can be done from a module.