Re: [MiNT] STAT bits - Ouch!

On 12/10/10 5:32 AM, Vincent Rivière wrote:

This is the only solution.

Maybe it could be more general, something like an "API version".
At startup, the MiNTLib should call Ssystem() to request the necessary API version. If it is not supported by the kernel, the program fails.

So the kernel could provide some level of compatibility by supporting some old API versions, when possible.

Having a unique API version for the whole kernel would probably be enough ? I mean a global API version, not a specific version for each function call...

I very much so like this idea. That way you can definitively understand why a program may not be working on a particular system rather than just guessing why it crashes or doesn't work right. I think we need more of this friendliness in freemint as a whole. When a program failed and it reminded me to check the stack the other day I was shocked and very happy ;)

Thanks,
Mark