Re: [MiNT] Gentoo packages

2011/1/14 Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 09:48 +0100, J. F. Lemaire wrote:
>> On 14 January 2011 08:44, Miro Kropáček <miro.kropacek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I personally miss *any* information how to make things work, i.e. it's clear
>> > I need a kernel but how to install the rest? Over Easymint?
>>
>> Just to make things clear for Alan :-) I second this. I have zero idea
>> what the status of the Gentoo distribution is. If it isn't installable
>> yet, why announce new packages? If it is, why not tell us how to use
>> it?
>
> I've been waiting for people to ask :-)
>
> I've kinda helped people who have asked privately and only one has. It's
> a personal preference to make the leap from SpareMiNT to
> Gentoo/FreeMiNT.
>
> So sure, I'd be happy to help people set it up.
>
> So first off, goto http://gentoo.atariforge.org and download the sample
> distribution. Untar to a fresh partition. Modify MINT.CNF to point INIT
> to /bin/bash on your new partition. Oh, and remember to point your
> symlinks (sln) lines to the gentoo partition for the relevant
> directories such as /bin, /usr, /etc, and so on.
>
> That's really it to get the basics. If anyone wants to try, and then
> post more questions I'd be happy to help. Heck, maybe these users would
> create some wiki pages to coach others into using and setting things up.
>
> Once people have some basics setup too, hopefully they can help out on
> getting the system bootstrapped. I have the packages to do it, but they
> need patching and testing.
>
> Thanks everyone for the interest!
>
> Alan.

thanks, for the update. I already grabbed the sample when you 1st
updated it, but I have not had a proper setup yet.

Do you have a wiki setup for Gentoo/MiNT.

For a start you could C&P the contents of your reply into a README.TXT
linked on that same page (or just past it it there at the bottom

As for Vincent's "ARAnyM image for dummies", I will try get something
up over the next week, but I want to also do 1-17-0 update for AFROS
too

I would like to get XaAES running with it as well, with a nice Black
and Green gradient, and a suitable texture, hell why not desktop icons
too ;)

I'll have something by the end of next week. And probably a few
questions, but i will also try and document the setup procedures I use
as well..

Cheers, and thanks again for the updates

Paul