[MiNT] Mintlib / posix regex / alloca and malloc

Hello,

what reasons are there why the mintlib is compiled without support for malloc? Currently it uses alloca. Netsurf crashes with some pages when used with mintlib regex + alloca (the crashes can be avoided (sometimes) by setting the stack really big (3MB and more...), but it's not a real solution...). When mintlib get's compiled with -DREGEX_MALLOC all the pages known to trigger the error are working fine.

The only thing which I can think of is speed & memory fragmentation. But on the other hand, I don't believe that someone uses his/her atari 24h a day / 360 days a year... so memory fragmentation maybe isn't that important.

the other thing is speed, but I would prefer a stable regex implementation over one that has bugs.

What do people think, would it be good to make REGEX_MALLOC the default?

Greets,