Re: [MiNT] Invalid S?_MAGIC

15 okt 2011 kl. 12:31 skrev Peter Slegg:
> We know there misbehaving apps that everybody uses that don't actually
> do any harm.
>
> In the situation where, for instance, Texel does something that causes
> Thing to be killed, it seems faily pointless.
>
> The app that misbehaved is still running and the app that was killed is
> going to be restarted again.
>
> If a warning pops-up and says:
>
> Thing is trying to access protected memory belonging to Texel.
> It could offer me the choice of killing Texel, killing Thing or
> allowing the access.

Just disable memory protection in such case. And if - God forbid - someone actually implements this, please oh please make it optional. You can't have both Terminator 2 and Bridges of Madison County at the same time, you know.

And somehow I feel like this is the Windows Vista approach, and I hate it.

> Nothing is really gained by automatically killing an unsuspecting
> app other than forcing people to turn MP off.

Sure it is. That's how it's supposed to work. Processes should not be allowed to do nasty stuff, in such case they should be killed instantly. That's the whole point, and the alternative promotes bad coding imo.

> In an ideal world none of this would happen but we have a far from
> ideal world with lots of legacy apps written for single tasking or
> making bad assumptions about the OS. A user friendly solution is needed.

Imo that user friendly solution is to run without memory protection.

-- PeP