Re: [MiNT] Shutting down XaAES cleanly

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 18:38 +0000, Helmut Karlowski wrote:

> > I have written a small program to select screen resolution under XaAES
> > +FireTOS. I want this program to tell XaAES to restart (and thus read
>
> Would it be enough to just restart the same binary (Ctrl-Alt-J), or does it have to be re-launched?

It doesn't matter as long as it re-reads xaaes.cnf and it's capable of
starting in another resolution.

Btw Control+Alt+J causes a warm reset on my FireBee. I don't know why.

> > xaaes.cnf with the new videomode), but how do I tell XaAES to shut down
> > or restart from a program? It doesn't support the N.AES-method
> > (shel_write(SWM_AESMSG...)).
>
> I think this is currently not possible. My first idea would be to add a
> command to the alert-interface, i.e. your program would write a certain string
> to /pipe/alert. That should be easy to do.

Why not do it like N.AES? I.e. send a message to the AES using
shel_write()? This is an already established way to send messages to the
AES. It doesn't make much sense to me to use the alert-pipe to
configure/control the AES, and the framework is already there in
xa_shel.c

An even better way would perhaps be to support AP_RESCH (?).

Jo Even