Re: [MiNT] LDG guide

Hi,

On torstai 29 marraskuu 2012, Peter Slegg wrote:
> Is filesize so critical anymore for people running Mint ?
>
> I think the key benefit of dynamic linking is that it would help
> maintainers, there would be less need to re-build apps.

It's not just disk space saving you get from smaller files, but
also memory savings.  Reading large programs from disk to memory
will also take time, i.e. it can improve performance if largest
parts of programs could be shared.

Downside of shared libraries are binary incompatibilities between
versions (especially for C++ code) when they're updated and detecting
the incompatibility and knowing which apps they will break.  Solutions
to the binary incompatible shared libraries are library versioning,
and symbol versioning, both in the library and packaging level.

	- Eero