Re: [MiNT] 1-18 release - userfriendliness

I´d like to express my consent about this two opinions:

> On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 10:48 +0100, Matthias Arndt wrote:
>
>> Just because most people might have large media, there is no reason to
>> limit a distribution to more than the bare necessities. Even with a
>> network link, I don't see a point in downloading a 30MB package on my
>> Falcon when I only want the basic MinT + XaAES setup which fits in 3Mb
>> or approx 2 floppies.

Matthias is totally right. Additionally there are many new users out there
getting a "plain" machine from somewhere and like to try FreeMiNT. It is a
real pain, if you are not familiar with Ataris (or if someone is
"graphical addicted", means GEM user only and has no knowledge about *nix
at all like me). I consider setting up a working CD drive at Ataris as
"too much" for new people.

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 21:35, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> Yes. The current archive can be kept as is, but in addition there should
> (IMO) be archives that can simply be unpacked on a Falcon, TT, Milan,
> Hades, Afterburner, CT60, FireBee and ARAnyM.

Thats exactly the way to go! I even would suggest to include "Qextract" if
possible, to provide everything that is needed at two floppies! Such
machine specific archives would have made my live much more easy. In fact
my Hades still uses the last EasyMiNT and we failed this year at our
"Atari Club" here in Vienna to install a recent trunk 1.18 (plus XaAES) at
a Falcon with just floppies, ...

Mathias