Re: [MiNT] Menu redraw

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:57:41 , Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 20:44 +0000, Peter Slegg wrote:
> > Is the underlying screen area cached ?
> >
> > When moving from menu to menu is it necessary to issue a full redraw ?
> >
> > Could the redraw be issued when the menu closes ? This would be a lot faster
> > but the window might be out of date for a moment. Does that matter ?
>
> You should read the thread more closely. You can't use the old
> "screenbuffer" method, because unlike TOS, N.AES, Geneva and (maybe)
> MagiC, XaAES menus are *not* blocking other applications. So the
> contents of the window behind an open menu might have been changed since
> the menu was opened. That's why it's necessary to use ordinary redraws.
>
> Jo Even

I did read it and understood it, that is why I asked is it really
necessary to redraw if I move from menu to menu ? Caching the screen
wouldn't block the application would it ?

Surely the redraw is only needed when the last menu closes such
as when the user picks an option or closes the menu.

If the cached area was out of date it would then be updated. For the
vast majority of apps this would be fine.

Peter