Re: [MiNT] binutils-2.23.2 and gcc-4.6.4

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Globally, stripping saved many megabytes.

I'm not interested in the ".L*" symbols as those have
no names, just numbers.  But anything that has a name for
a function, I would very much like to be retained in
the library symbol table.

Maybe you could use the following strip arguments:
        -S -X -w -N '.L[0-9]*'
?

Inspired by an Atari-forum thread, I have done proper testing this time. Results are more than surprising. My tests were done on the complete gcc+binutils+mintlib+pml cross compilation installation (self made):

Plain install (no stripping at all): 148 MB
My strip ("-s" for executables, "-S -x" for libraries): 63 MB
Eero's proposal ("-s" for executables, "-S -X -w -N '.L[0-9]*'" for libraries): 58 MB

Yes, with static functions like "tzload" included and still working (simple hello world tested). So it seems that actually Eero's "script" not only keeps static function names but also saves space =)

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org