Re: [MiNT] C++

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 07:33 +1000, Miro Kropáček wrote:

> Shared libs are not a holy grail for new apps. I know only about one
> or two (Python, Git) where some of the features depend on mmap() or
> similar, i.e. would benefit from a VM but that's pretty much it. For
> normal stuff there's no need for it at all.

Shared libs are not really important, but I have to say that any
reasonable complex piece of software from the unix-world really, really
needs virtual memory. The style of coding used by most unix-oriented
programmers cause huge amount of memory fragmentation on Ataris, making
the stuff unreliable after a bit of use and frequent reboots necessary.

We have fairly powerful hardware like the CT60 and the FireBee, and
fairly powerful "hardware" in ARAnyM. But we have to face it - the OS is
not up to it when it comes to dealing with complex unix software.
Virtual memory is a must. AES/VDI is also a must. Those two things
doesn't go well together :)

Jo Even