Re: [MiNT] ELF object linking

Am 25.02.2014 um 01:03 schrieb Miro Kropáček <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>:

> aout: 249 708 bytes
> elf after the tos conversion: 232 908 bytes
>
> Considering the fact mxPlay uses gemlib and cflib only it's quite nice result.

Since mintlib and gemlib are already optimized for a.out (only one cross each, err one source file per function), the size gains you observe are probably caused by cflib mainly (not optimized in this respect).

Working with BaS_gcc (where program format is raw binary without relocation information, so in theory the resulting binaries _should_ be exactly identical), I have often seen that the exact same version of the compiler (m68k-atari-mint-gcc vs. m68k-elf-gcc, both 4.6.3 or 4.6.4) produce differently sized executables (with the binaries produced by the -elf- toolchain a little larger most of the time).

I however never came around to check for the cause of this.