[MiNT] Reading Atari formatted iomegaZIP discs under linux

Hello,

I have a problem I haven't been able to find a solution for, since a long time.

Back at around 2000, my iomega Zip drive started to behave nasty, with clicking sounds when accessing any media. Googling revealed that this likely is a hardware fault that can ruin all media you put into that device. I immediately stopped using these disks, although I'm sure I had put every disk into the drive before I had found that information. Soon after other bits of my Falcon sound system started to malfunction too, and in 2003 I decided to drop it and buy myself a x86 system and switch to Linux.

Now, many years later, I would like to read out some of these zip media contents... I found a Zip drive on a fleemarket for like 5 euros, but couldn't get that to work either. Then I found another newer one that I can get to work on my PC via USB, but it doesn't detect any of my disks. It does work with DOS formatted disks though, so I wonder what goes on. The openSUSE kernel comes with atari filesystem support, and my disks use VFAT or ext2. So my next guess is that my problem is about endianness, but have no idea how to verify or even resolve that.

Does anyone have an idea or proposal what to try next?

Thanks, Edgar