[Freemint-list] Slow network speed

Markus Fröschle mfro at mubf.de
Sun Oct 2 11:02:09 MSD 2016

Maybe your expectations are set just too high?

Performance-wise, the FireBee is roughly comparable to a 1997 Pentium II
233. You are basically comparing the network speed of a Pentium II class
computer to modern equipment. I don't really remember the Pentium II 233
network performance (and I don't really want to), but I doubt they were
much faster.

iperf (available from Vincent's site) and for most other platforms
elsewhere is a pretty good network measurement tool since it avoids any
unnecessary overhead (http, for example, is a pretty chatty protocol).
With this, you should see something between 50 and 90 Mb/s on a wired
connection (depending on your FireBee's load). This is pretty close to
the physical limit of a 100 Mbit connection.

iperf can not only measure the throughput to remote machines, but also
(using localhost) to the local machine. If you test this, you'll
basically see the performance of the MiNT network stack which wasn't
much faster than over the wire in my tests (sometimes - probably due to
the additional CPU load of the iperf server - even slower).

Nevertheless, I played a bit with the FEC driver. If you are curious,
you might test the attached driver where I have increased the number of
FEC DMA buffers by a factor of 5. For me, this significantly increased
the download throughput of the particular test file you provided (tested
on the m5484LITE that - in theory - is a about 30% slower than the FireBee):

on a local link, I get the this:

Note that this might make other things worse (due to the added latency),
so your mileage may vary. I can provide a patch if it proves to be useful.

Cheers,

Markus