[Freemint-list] [MiNT] fVDI in FreeMiNT CVS?

Thorsten Otto admin at tho-otto.de
Mon Nov 7 08:27:25 MSK 2016

On Monday 07 November 2016 03:28:43 Miro Kropáček wrote:
> I mean Aranym itself is killed by the host OS. That kind of behaviour has
> been always attributed to the JIT builds but the fact even the MMU/normal
> builds are vulnerable is news to me.

Hm thats strange. The MMU build is used to run linux-68k mainly, and since
that involves real virtual memory management, i guess it should be rather
stable, otherwise that won't work. Are you sure you were using a MiNT with
memory protection enabled, and also run set_mmu.prg before MiNT? Without that,
you won't have any memory protection, only a slower version of aranym ;)
set_mmu is neccessary because aranym emulates a '040, and mint does not
activate MP on its own when compiled for 040.

The normal build suffers from the same problems as the JIT build, except that
exception handling is usually somewhat dfferent. It should also be a bit more
stable with respect to "wild" memory addresses.