[Freemint-list] 20 year anniversary...

Peter Slegg p.slegg at scubadivers.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 23:41:37 MSK 2016

>Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 10:43:22 +0100
>From: Jo Even Skarstein <joska at online.no>
>Subject: Re: [Freemint-list] 20 year anniversary...
>To: freemint-list at mail.atariforge.org
>On fr., 2016-11-04 at 18:53 +0100, Vincent Rivi?re wrote:
>> On 04/11/2016 14:37, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
>> > Lots of things has changed since then
>>
>> Webmails have now superseded ELM ;-)
>
>Only when posting from work :D
>
>Another thing that has changed is that I used to consider MiNT a rock
>solid OS. But at some point focus shifted a bit away from GEM/TOS
>compatibility, and IMO especially XaAES suffers a bit from feature
>creep. There's not much development going on these days, but I hope that
>someone someday would pick up the code again and start looking into
>improving the code quality and stability. We need that more than new
>features :)
>
>Jo Even

I find Mint to be very stable, more stable than my 2 android devices.
The worst crashes I get are from pdf's that kill Porthos and Netsurf
betas.

They usually manifest as a sticky mouse display requiring a reboot.

I am not a fan of fatware but what was once considered extra, nice-to-have
features are now thought to be standard requirements. Progress ?

Some old add-ons no longer work and rather than having 2-3 incompatible
apps it can be better to have one version built-in. It's not like we
are squeezing the OS onto a floppy :-)

I did once suggest submitting Mint to Coverity which is used by Netsurf to
check code quality. It might be worth having a look.

Regards,

Peter