[Freemint-list] gcc 6.2 for Ataris brown edition

Peter Slegg p.slegg at scubadivers.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 18:47:54 MSK 2017

> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:07:56 +1000
> From: Miro Krop??ek <miro.kropacek at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Freemint-list] gcc 6.2 for Ataris brown edition
> To: Jo Even Skarstein <joska at online.no>
> Cc: freemint-list at mail.atariforge.org
> On 4 January 2017 at 06:19, Jo Even Skarstein <joska at online.no> wrote:
>
> > What is the advantage of running ELF binaries under MiNT? What problem
> > does this solve? If there is a tool to convert ELF executables to TOS
> > executables, why bother with ELF in MiNT?
> >

> Well, right now the advantage is the ability to run programs compiled with
> gcc > 4.6.4. ;)
>
> Another one would be gdb support
> -- well supported for ELF binaries, very poorly for a.aout binaries.

gdb would be a big advantage.

I was using gdb with gcc2 on Highwire. It was awkward from the command
line but much better than no debug tool at all, which is like debugging
1980s style ;-)  It wasn't fun in the 1980s either.

Staying current will have advantages but requires work. It will open other
possibilities as well as meaning we don't have to be excluded from future
gcc developments.

Happy New Year all,

Peter