[Freemint-list] Clean gcc buid for m68k-atari-mint

Thorsten Otto admin at tho-otto.de
Thu Jan 5 16:38:51 MSK 2017

On Thursday 05 January 2017 12:31:23 Miro Kropáček wrote:
> I was always wondering why our poor gcc must be built so differently from
> the standard ones like ARM or even m68k-elf. I thought it's because of the
> nature of Vincent's patches but as it turns out... it is not!

Hm, i didn't notice so much differences last time.

Regarding the required packages you download: you should not use the offiical
(latest) versions for gmp, mpfr etc. Instead the packages from the
/infrastructure subdirectory on GCC mirrors should be used, since these are
the ones that are tested to work with gcc.

>merging pml or fdlibm (or something else) with mintlib, every libc I know of
>had done that in the past, much easier maintanance

I agree for fdlibm. pml is IMHO a great mess, it is slow, buggy and does not
conform to any standard. Getting fdlibm to work isn't that easy though. The
official sources available from Sun are quite outdated. Lots of bugs in them
have been fixed in recent versions of glibc, but the m68k part is not very
well maintained (it lacks support for long double for several functions for
example), and it is not easy to rip that part out of glibc and integrate it in
mintlib.

>merging mintbin's strip and stack utilities into mintlib-bin package (and to
>mintlib in general, of course) and get rid of this ancient package for good

I think they are just not needed anymore. m68k-atari-mint-strip does the same,
and the program header flags can also be passed to the linker.