[Freemint-list] Handling of PRGs/APPs which console output

Jo Even Skarstein joska at online.no
Fri Jan 6 20:14:49 MSK 2017

On fr., 2017-01-06 at 23:16 +1000, Miro Kropáček wrote:
>         Basically I think this approach is wrong.
> I think this concludes yours, Thorsten's, Helmut's and maybe someone
> else's point of view. You think there's an excuse to virtually destroy
> the user's display (yes, it's a rare case but all it takes is one

This is very easy to avoid. In addition to have an open console window
which is the current solution, I volunteer to make two other
solutions/workarounds that does not require any changes or additions to
XaAES.

1. A tiny program that simply opens /dev/xconout2 and doesn't care about
it's output. This will effectively eat all output to stdout as long as
this program runs. Autostart it from the auto-folder, xaaes.cnf or
desktop.
Then if you need to see debug output you must either start the program
from a shell, or tell Teradesk that it's a TOS/TTP which will run it
from TosWin2 (or whatever is installed as TOSRUN).

2. A tiny program that takes the path/name to an executable as
parameter. This program will redirect stdout to /dev/null, launch the
program specified on it's commandline, restore stdout and exit. This
will eat all output to stdout for this particular program.