[Freemint-list] Handling of PRGs/APPs which console output

Miro Kropáček miro.kropacek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:00:09 MSK 2017

On 8 January 2017 at 22:25, Jo Even Skarstein <joska at online.no> wrote:

> Whenever an AES process is started, XaAES creates a pipe and redirects
> the child process' stdin/stdout to this pipe. *If* the application
> writes anything to that pipe, XaAES will know and it will of course know
> which application. XaAES then alerts the user in some way, e.g. by
> changing the colour of the menu bar, display a window without stealing
> keyboard focus, displaying an icon in the menu bar or whatever. When/if
> the user interacts with this notification, XaAES runs a "console"
> program (could be TosWin2 for that matter) that inherits the pipe
> handles from XaAES and shows the output from the program. Features like
> logging etc can be added to this program.
>
> Now nothing is ever displayed on the screen, atleast not from the AES
> and the AES clients. The user is notified if there is any output, and
> will have the possibility to see what's actually happening.

I'm absolutely fine with this solution. My point has been for the whole
time only "don't destroy the screen", by default, without any more tools or
changes. What exactly change in XaAES and/or FreeMiNT is up to a debate but
I like your solution a lot, it's like an intelligent (and open)
/dev/xconout2.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org